Monday, October 23, 2006

Going down to Green River, gonna meet some friends of mine...mm'kay?

Well, I returned Friday from my third trip to The Green River Preserve -- one of the coolest summer camps around and an incredible opportunity for 45 fifth graders to learn about the natural world and walk in the footsteps of Little Tree from The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter. (If you haven't read this book, you must - I mean it.)
The trip coincides with our study of dislocated people from the NW Coast, the Cherokee, and our work with part of the refugee community in Charlotte. We spent four days and three nights exploring the forest, examining petroglyphs, "enjoying" the rain, playing in waterfalls, climing rock walls, catching salamanders, and learning to love each other a little better. I would say, a good time was definitely had by all! Enjoy the pictures...
making fire

beauty

a hike on long rock

"Polar Bearing" in a mountain waterfall -- yes, I did this, too! Mentor Star investigates a centipede one of the kiddos spotted

2 comments:

  1. Emily, when did you grow a beard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you know that my sister was a green river camper for far too many a summer and 100% hearts that place? i give it three thumbs way up! what a fun field tripper you are!

    ReplyDelete