(or as my friend Lin says, "somebody who is famous within a small field.")
It's not every day that you get to meet a star - especially in Charlotte, NC!
A couple weeks back, some colleagues and I attended a workshop on the teaching of writing given by the stellar Nancie Atwell on a Saturday. Nancie is one of the "authorities" on the teaching of writing in education these days and is definitely one of my mentors in the field.
As I was signing in, however, I noticed the name "Katie Ray" above mine. "No, it can't be," I thought to myself. Then, I spotted her...Katie Wood Ray - my biggest idol in education right now - was attending the conference as well! Katie is the author of many books - her latest of which, Study Driven, is totally transforming the way I am teaching writing to these fifth grade kiddies...
Anyway, I totally went up and introduced myself to her and then my boss asked her to lunch and she came...I didn't bombard her with too many questions and I don't think she was too scared of me, but you never know! I am definitely grateful for her kindness and passion for children and writing - so thanks, Katie! I like to call the picture below, "I promise I'm not a stalker!"

As a current student of your fair profession and in all my nerdiness, I will admit I am totally in awe and will be calling and pupming you for information about both Nancie Atwell and Katie Wood Ray. I have just finished a big project on Donald Graves and have a book you might want for your professional library as well- let me know if you are interested. Happy Turkey Day!
ReplyDeletePS- see you in jacksonville for the ACC Championship game next weekend! GO DEACS!!!!