The title of this post is one of many Cherokee expressions I've been thinking about for the last few days. I just returned from 4 days in the woods with 43 fifth graders and it was amazing as always. Our yearly trip to The Green River Preserve (www.greenriverpreserve.org) centers around Forest Carter's book "The Education of Little Tree;" whether it's on hikes into caves or through waterfalls, making fire from quartz, eating sour leaf, attempting the climbing wall, learning to compost, going on a night exploration, or talking about the Cherokee way, kids (and me!) get to literally walk in Little Tree's footsteps for a few days. All of our students were amazing and totally into it...despite a few pukers on the bus ride home, it was flawless. Post-trip, this year more than ever, I am feeling so thankful for the beauty of nature and the joy of being alive on this earth.

lin samples a fresh radish from the GRP winter garden

me and my hiking group on our hike to the cave (yes, I did see bats and they definitely flew right past my head - yikes!)
p.s. - for those of you who haven't read the book, read it. It will change you...
No comments:
Post a Comment