Saturday, February 23, 2008

Fair Game

Ok - I happen to be out driving around last week between 8 and 9 p.m. and stumbled upon an amazingly dry, entertaining, and smart radio program on my friendly NPR station. Fair Game is it's name and it's a production of PRI (public radio international). Although it's hard to really describe it's true flavor without including a sound bit, but I would say it's a combination of E-News, The Daily Show, and Morning Edition.

The program I listened to covered hollywood buzz, politics, and the day's biggest news. The piece I enjoyed most was about the Navy's satellite shoot-down this week. The range of commentary was laugh out loud hilarious. One of my favorite commentaires from Jason Manzukas on the situation: "Does anyone else think this is absolutely ridiculous? I mean, we're seriously sitting here in 2008 unable to shoot and/or stab Osama Bin Laden on the face of the earth, but the first time out we can soot a missle and hit a heap of garbage moving through space at 17 thousand miles an hour. Bin Laden moves a lot slower, ok - he is hooked up to a dialysis machine somewhere...we can't even get a guy to put a pen knife through his throat but we can shoot...this boggles my mind..."

Also covered on the program this week was Wake Forest's own Eric Wilson, professor of English about his new book Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy. Go Deacs!

The show's co-creator and host is Faith Salie, a rhodes scholar with an interesting past life...so listen up and listen in M > F - you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment