Since I've been traveling, I've been up to lots of reading. Love. The latest titles under my belt:
Peony in Love by Lisa See (author of one of my favorites of all time (Snowflower and the Secret Fan) - this book chronicles the state of women in time of 17th Century China and the Manchu revolution. There is tons about beliefs in the afterlife and societal roles. Every time I read See, I want to learn more about this culture...a heady read, but I highly recommend it.
The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy -- this charming kids' novel tells the story of two girls and their journey through a year of middle school together. It's a story about the power of writing, loving the person you are, and figuring out what really matters. I loved it.
Schooled by Gordon Korman (another kids' novel!) - this book tells the story of Capricorn (Cap) Anderson, a "hippie-trippy" boy was raised on a farm commune but is suddenly forced into society and "real school" as an 8th grader. If you know Spinelli's work, think Stargirl in a male form. Despite some trite moments, this book was a refreshing representation of the social strata of dreaded middle school and definitely a feel-good read. Every chapter is told from a different point of view, which is also a nice technique. I have even been emailing with the author to see if he can come to Charlotte to chat with our school about this text. hehe.
Next on deck: a gift I just received in the mail from a book fairy: Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kerns Goodwin and Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller.
Read away, friends. Read away...
i read "snowflower and the secret fan" before our recent trip to china - it enhanced our travels a great deal... love your reviews & recs!
ReplyDeleteyeah...about that whole "reading" thing.... let's not and say we did.
ReplyDelete