
So...I DVRd Oprah last week (in all honesty a rarity for me as she is a tad grating to my nerves, but nonetheless...) when she had Jessica Seinfeld on promoting her cookbook Deceptively Delicious. Growing up as a hater of all things to eat that weren't brown, I LOVE her idea. Her premise is simple: "I am a tired, busy mom who was tired of having my kids tell me that they hated my food and wouldn't eat the healthy stuff."
So now, Jessica spends one hour each week (not sure i buy this, but maybe she's efficient) pureeing vegetables into 1/2 cup servings which she sneaks into dishes her kids and Jerry prefer (chicken nuggets, pizza, brownies, etc.) throughout the week. Apparently, the dishes are quite tasty. She did mention that she puts whole veggies on their plates to prove the point, but she enjoys smiling through most meals knowing her kids are getting the portions of vegetables they need.
What I found to be most interesting is that following her appearance, O had a doctor on that said kids' aversion to veggies is biologically legitimate. Whereas adults have 3000 tastebuds, kids have approximately 10,000 which means they are much more sensitive to the bitterness of fresh veggies and greens. Additionally, he reminded us that in the wild, sweet = safe and sour = poison so our bodies naturally identify sweet foods with safe to eat.
This post has nothing to do with me, per se - I was just so intrigued and I'm curious if any of you moms have tried it - sounds brilliant to me...
let's talk about this..i am sure you are suprised to know i do have an opinion about it. my go to are kale cubes...not in the book, but i puree kale and put them in EVERYTHING...i mean everything...yogart, applesauce, ice cream....cant taste it, TONS of nutrition...we'll touch base about this again in when your time is ready:)
ReplyDelete