Monday, July 06, 2009

Summer Reading

So far, my short summer has been filled with reading. Love. I wanted to list the books I've read so far before I forget them...the ones with the * are the titles I particularly recommend. Happy reading!

Year of Wonders* by Geraldine Brooks - I finished this one right at school year's end - it is a glorious historical fiction about the plague in the 16th century.

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster - her second memoir about living in Chicago. I enjoyed the story of Bitter... more, though the anecdotes in this one were hilar.

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross - set in Hendersonville, NC this is the story of the elderly-ish Miss Julia who is widowed and then discovers her husband fathered a son when he is dropped on her doorstep. A sweet story and an enjoyable character.

Misery loves Cabernet* by Kim Gruenenfelder- a cute beach read about a Silverlake/LA resident balancing working for celebrity boss and relationships with two men. This was mindless fun - I finished it in one day.

The Art of Mending* by Elizabeth Berg - a realistic fiction/drama about family secrets and sibling relationships. Critics like the Art of Mending least but I really enjoyed this one although it was a more somber read. Berg is the author of many books including Welcome Home which was an Oprah book club a while back.

Currently in progress: the absolutely delicious The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society* by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Despite the laborious title, I am loving it! Thanks to Kimmie and my plane friends for the recommendation. It is a collection of letters telling the story of people in London, Scotland, and Guernsey during the aftermath of WWII. I love the mix of history, relationships, and book talk.

Finally, a shout-out to my "I'm not really a reader sister-in-law" who just finished Twilight in three days. :)

I love it when a book captivates like that. Besides living life well with people you love, there is little better in life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the book list- I have come to the end of my list and needed a few more. I am in the midst of the Potato Peel and cannot get into it, but I think I'll keep trying! I just finished The Glass Castle which was wonderful- a memoir that while disturbing and sad is told with such humor and obvious love for her family. Another you may enjoy is Saints at the River by Ron Rash- it is our summer readingbook for students, faculty, and parents- interesting read for the content- not for the character development.

    Hope all is well in CLT. Have a great time at Ellen's wedding!

    ReplyDelete