Sunday, November 08, 2009

Happy Leaf Day

I woke up to David saying, "Happy Leaf Day! Are you excited?" Answer: No, babe, I am not.

I am not a yard work person. Neither is my sweet husband, truth be told. In fact, I have been tempted to look online at patio homes to move to in order to avoid yard work. But, alas, we love our house and our lot - at the minute we just don't love the ten or so enormous trees that dump their leaves in the fall. It also must be said that we have a yard work day about twice a year, so it is bearable, but...

Yesterday, we were forced to tackle the leaves in our yard and prune back the shrubs. Truly, there was very little green visible and the shrubs were looking a bit like Beaker from the Muppets - one long shoot coming out of the top.


After five hours of pruning, transplanting a box wood from one side of the yard to another, bagging about twelve full bags of leaves out front, and blowing the back yard leaves in the back bed, you can SORT OF see our yard.

I decided to write this post to force myself to find some positives in all of this time spent on a beautiful fall Saturday. Here goes:

This will make our neighbors happier (they have immaculate yards).

I listened to Pandora (Glee and Jersey Boys stations) on my phone throughout the
work and danced my little tail off now and again while working.

I was able to be outside for an extended period of time and enjoy a little love from
the Earth.

I learned how to use the "sucker" setting on the blower to mulch. Girl power.

I jumped through a big pile of leaves - something i haven't done in quite some time.

So now it's morning the day after. I feel a sense of pride at the work we accomplished. I also wonder how many more leaves fell again overnight. I'm scared to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment