Friday night, Charlotte got two inches of snow - a big deal in these parts. On Saturday, all of the tasks and errands that I "had to" get done were not an option. The roads were icy and the temperatures low low low.
David and I spent our day at home - watched a movie, read a magazine, worked on a puzzle, made some chili. I got in bed last night thinking about how long the day seemed and how rested I felt.
I am a doer. I would say, in fact, that I am a doer of prodigious proportion - I like to be busy and stay efficient and I love the way I feel throughout the day doing just that.
More often than not, however, I end my days exhausted and sometimes lonely, having spent all of my energy and still feeling like I have a million things to get done. Being forced to stay home all day - the option of going and doing taken completely away - was a sweet reminder that my idea of "have to" needs reevaluating.
We have food to eat, we have each other, and we have time. We always do, I suppose. Why does it often get lost under "haves" and "musts?"
So today, on another beautiful, cold, snowy morning with messy roads, I am staying home. I will do laundry and dishes and pay some bills. I will watch TV. I will write a few letters to some children about their reading lives in preparation for tomorrow's return to school. And I will resolve to check in on the undue "have to" pressure I so often bring to my own table.
So well said, I think we could all use a snow day every month. Glad you could enjoy your days at home.
ReplyDeletewhat a great reminder for me because I'm always feeling like I "have to" be getting something checked off my list. i miss you!
ReplyDelete