Last week was our school's WOW Week (without walls) for 5th - 8th graders. It's an opportunity for kids to take a week off regular classes and dig into something deeply and experientially.
Kids were birding, outdoor adventuring, sewing, learning how to scuba, and much more. My 13 darlings were building our Will Power with a course on Shakespeare.
On Tuesday, we read Twelfth Night and watched a film adaptation and then on Wednesday we journeyed to Staunton, VA for two nights to collaborate with the American Shakespeare Center. The children watched a matinee, got a behind the scenes tour, met the actors, and took two acting workshops. If you are a lover of the bard, you must get yourself to the Blackfriar's. Immediately.
I was floored by the passion, energy, and intrigue the children brought to the week and couldn't be more proud.
Finally, thanks to Kim and Laura for joining me on this amazing adventure!
Here are two pictures from the week that make my heart smile.
Em- I wish that you could teach my children. Maybe in my imaginary world, we had children and we lived in Charlotte. Wish I could have seen your little ones in action!
ReplyDeleteWow - how blessed those kiddos are for a teacher so passionate about here work. And don't think for one minute that your clever title went un-noticed. You went to Virginia, which we all know is for lovers...to study Shakespeare...nice one my friend.
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! I want to go! My kiddos are putting the finishing touches on their Shakespeare projects tomorrow and getting ready for their presentations next week. They are posting their "Shakespeare Music Videos" on youtube so I'll forward them on for your enjoyment! Isn't it fun to pass on English-nerdiness to the next generation! I love it!
ReplyDelete